Sunday, December 12, 2010

China and 18 other countries boycotting the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony

Eighteen more countries refuse to attend Nobel peace prize ceremony

• China 'arm-twisting' to persuade diplomats to stay away
• But 44 countries will be at event to honour Liu Xiaobo

from the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/07/china-nobel-peace-prize-clowns

My question is, do people actually care about the Nobel Peace Prize anymore?  I was pretty sure that after Obama won it last year (pretty much just because he isn't George W. Bush), it had "awarded" itself into irrelevancy.  I know that the Chinese are only protesting for political reasons, but since last year proved that the Nobel Peace Prize is just a political instrument, I can't say as I blame them.

No comments:

Post a Comment