Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Taco Bell wants an apology!

Taco Bell wants to know:
Do you remember, back in January, when an Alabama law firm brought suit against Taco Bell, claiming the company was using "false advertising" in using the word "beef" to describe its "taco meat filling?"

Taco Bell's PR department certainly earned their pay following the lawsuit, going on the offensive, rather than sitting back and apologizing, with a company spokesman issuing this statement: "Taco Bell prides itself on serving high quality Mexican inspired food with great value. We're happy that the millions of customers we serve every week agree. We deny our advertising is misleading in any way and we intend to vigorously defend the suit."

First of all, I love the use of the phrase "high quality Mexican inspired food," because I finally get confirmation that even Taco Bell doesn't consider itself Mexican, but just "Mexican inspired."  I won't even get into discussion of the term "high quality."  But I digress; the question at hand was, is it or is it not beef?  Taco Bell took out full page ads in major newspapers, thanking the plaintiffs, because now we have the proper forum for Taco Bell to let the world know just how high quality their food really is (no word on why they couldn't tell us before the lawsuit was filed):




As it turns out, the beef filling is only 88% beef, with the secret recipe making up the other 12%.  Well, with that disclosure, I guess the plaintiffs decided that this really wasn't the moneymaking opportunity they had initially thought it was, so the lawsuit was dropped.  Of course, I'm a week or two behind on this, but, Taco Bell, not having lost an opportunity to use this lawsuit for the purpose of promotion, couldn't let it drop, and took out another set of full page ads the last week of April:
No word yet on whether the plaintiffs have apologized, or whether it would actually kill them to say they were sorry.  I, for one, am relieved to know that all the Taco Bell I allow myself to eat after a long night of binge drinking in a smoke-filled bar is only made of the highest quality beef.  And 12% secret recipe.

8 comments:

  1. Never trust fast food period. That's a rule in my book lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. "secret recipe"?

    Uh oh. That doesn't sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to be honest, I don't even eat Taco Bell, so I don't give a shart. Their food was gross and intestinally debilitating already. Plus, notice the 'Mexican inspired' part, real Mexican food tastes a quantifiable 297% better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent blog! Enjoyed reading it, keep them posts coming =)

    Grindsmygear.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was insane, poor taco bell, glad they got it all sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something up with this. Taco Bell claimed they use "Beef" in their tacos, but the law suit was brought by people who claim they used what the FDA would term "Meat Taco Filling" and didn't even meet the standard of 40% meat for THAT. I can't believe anyone would bring that suit without having some kind of evidence proving their case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're basically saying "go away if you don't like our food."

    Lol their stuff tastes great (if you don't eat it every week,..)
    but i believe it is unhealthy and processed.

    ReplyDelete