Monday, March 21, 2011

Is George Michael Bigger than the Chicago Bears?



Now, as a child of the 80’s, I love me some Wham! just as much as the next guy (probably a little more so, in fact), but when I saw this, I knew I had to share it with the rest of the world.  A little background - you may recognize Wham! from their amazing hit song Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go or the insipid holiday single Last Christmas, but if you were ever anywhere in the 1980’s that had a radio turned on (even just for background noise), you probably heard the saxophone riff to the song Careless Whisper.  


Don’t remember it?  That’s ok; thanks to the magic of the internets, nostalgia is just a click away.  If you do remember it, feel free to skip down to the next section . . . unless, of course, you want to hear it just one more time.  Go ahead, you know you want to click it; I won't judge your guilty pleasure. . .


I'll be honest; I didn't even know there were
words to this until the late 90's.  
All I remembered was the sax riff.

The single was actually a George Michael solo project, but it was released while Michael was still performing in Wham!  Credited as “Wham! featuring George Michael,” it rocketed to the top of the US charts, spending three weeks at number one.  Of course, a song this triumphant sold plenty of records, and was even named Billboard’s #1 song of 1985.  (How it beat the Super Bowl Shuffle, I’ll never know.  I mean, it was good, but Super Bowl Shuffle good?  Please.)

Billboard #1?  More like NFL #1!!!


You may be wondering why now, 26 years after Careless Whisper took the world by storm, am I writing about it?  You may be saying to yourself, “self, I respect George Michael for his musical genius, but why is The Billy Blog bringing up this blast from the past?  Didn’t I dedicate enough time in the 80’s to listening to his music?”


Well, yes, you may have lost enough time listening to George Michael, but have you heard Sergio Flores, AKA “Sexy Sax Man,” play his tune? While you’re shopping at Wal-Mart? Or perhaps sitting through a lecture in biology class?


You're doing yourself a disservice 
if you do not click on this link.


Normally I don’t really care for these “reaction” videos that are filmed to catch people’s reactions when difficult or ludicrous situations are forced upon them, because I am overly empathetic to people just doing their jobs. I go to work and have to deal with difficult people sometimes, so I really feel for people who are just trying to get through their day when some moron shows up and starts causing a scene. However, this one is strangely different. Perhaps it’s the way that international saxophone superstar Sergio Flores completely buys into his role, or the fact that most everyone is generally treating it as the humorous situation it should be, or maybe it’s the unwavering dedication to finishing the saxophone riff regardless of the consequences, but I like it. I wouldn’t mind for this guy to show up to my work to liven things up!



And just to bring it home – Is George Michael better than the Super Bowl Shuffle? I would certainly say no, but you don’t see anyone doing the Super Bowl Shuffle in the electronics section of Wal-Mart, do you?




Come on, who doesn't love Da Bears???

13 comments:

  1. I think that not seeing anyone doing the Superbowl Shuffle at Wal-Mart is more an indictment of Wal-Mart than it is of the Bears. I'd shop in a store where Samurai Mike rapped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gets the sexy saxman the win is the very end of his video where his cameraman tells the cops that "he is above the law."

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol no body hates the bears :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Superbowl SHuffle is classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the bears until they got cutler...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sexy sax man always makes me laugh.

    Supported.
    bigunicorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete