Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why is The White House white, or Are Canadians Full of BS?

A few days ago, when I wrote about the clueless Mexican journalist, I received much feedback, mostly from people incredulous that someone so clueless could find himself in such a position to let the world know how ignorant he is.  Of course, I suppose the Mexican journalist could have thought that displaying his willingness to proffer moronic assessments of the situation could net him a job here in the states. . .and I guess it’s marginally better (albeit less exciting) than throwing a shoe.  I’m also pretty disappointed in myself in that it took me two days to realize that a shoe-throwing joke would have been the way to go!  But perhaps the most interesting (for lack of a better word) reply was from a Canadian, who suggested that as a Canadian, she was perturbed by the fact that Americans are constantly making false assumptions and incorrect statements about Canadians, and so because of that, no American (not one!) had room to talk regarding the ignorance of others.  She then went on to mention that because the White House was burned down in the War of 1812 and was then painted white to cover up the scorch marks, we (Americans) owe it to our neighbors of the North (Canadians, duh!) for the fact that the White House is white.



Well, first off, what if I don’t like the fact that the White House is white?  What then, Canuck?  Should I hold you accountable for the fact that it’s not the Red House, or perhaps the Mauve House?  And does it being white make a difference?  Would Jimmy Carter have been any more ineffective of a President if he lived in the Pink House (actually, that might have been the only way for that to happen), or would Richard Nixon have been any less crooked residing in the (wait for it) Checkered House?  Whatever, Canada, I’ll be thankful to you for other real contributions you’ve made – like Pamela Anderson, Bryan Adams, and curling.  Oh wait, never mind.  . .Hayden Christensen?  NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!



Ok, so now we know, Canada, that I’m not particularly thankful for the White House being white. . .but are you still responsible for it?  Well, do you think I would have gone through the trouble of writing this post if the answer was anything other than no???

It turns out that when the initial construction was finished, the porous sandstone walls were sealed with a mixture of lime, rice glue, casein, and lead, which was (surprise!) white in color.  As the White House was originally constructed from 1792 – 1800, it seems that the white color actually predates the war (and the fire) by 12 (and 14) years!  It is true that it was repainted white after the reconstruction was finished following the war, but let’s face it, that’s just grasping at straws.  Are you not going to repaint your house after a fire?

So if it was white years before the war, how about the name?  Maybe they just started calling a house that had been white for 14 years “The White House” after burning it down and rebuilding it.  You know, to make it more fireproof in case the British come back.  Actually, there are a few recorded instances of the building being referred to as “The White House” before 1814.  For example, in the spring of 1811, British minister to the US Francis James Jackson wrote that his successor would “act as a sort of political conductor to attract the lightning that may issue from the clouds round the Capitol and the White House at Washington.”  Also, on March 18, 1812, a Massachusetts congressman wrote, “There is much trouble at the White House, as we call it, I mean the President’s.”

In fact, the President’s residence didn’t officially become “The White House” until 1901 when Theodore Roosevelt had “White House – Washington” engraved on Presidential stationery.  Prior to that, the term “Executive Mansion” was used officially, as seen on this copy of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address: 


So, Canada, it looks like people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.  I really don’t care that you just believe any ‘ol myth that strokes your Canadian ego, but I found it exceedingly hilarious for you to pontificate on how ill-informed (all!) Americans are and then toss up a big fat hanging curve like that.  What really strikes me as funny is that there are several things that Canada has gotten the shaft on, like Bryan Adams and Celine Dion.  Also, it seems that (at least here in the US) the extent to which Canadian forces were involved in D-Day (the invasion of Normandy, June 6, 1944) has largely been forgotten.  73,000 US troops landed on D-Day, and (if you’re not Canadian) you might be surprised to find out that 21,500 Canadians took part in the invasion.  Spread the news about that!

But don’t worry, Canada.  According to the US Articles of Confederation (specifically, Article XI), Canada is pre-approved for admission to the Union!  It’s not too late; you can still join the madness. . .

19 comments:

  1. Hockey and the War of 1812, the Twin Pillars of Canadian Culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious as to why she even felt to word her opinion. Don't they have laws against that in Canada? I wouldn't actually know, I'm just an ignorant American making an assumption about something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the questions haha.

    P.S- I also am an ignorant American who makes assumptions about stuff, but that's what you can do when you live in the greatest country on Earth! Isn't it great?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know why the white house was white! Now I know :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Canadian AND American! I'm constantly making false assumptions about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got to be honest, the Star Wars picture drew me in to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd never actually wondered why the white house was white before ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned something new today - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting stuff. I too did get lured into this post by the Star Wars picture I must admit.

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you know there was a Russian White House? It was also burned and damaged, specifically in 1993 during a stand off between their parliament and the president. It has since been renovated and houses the government.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How dare you talk ill about Canada? you should bow down to the greatest invention from Canada EVER, the poutine!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure, the witness of the house is an issue, the fact is that if you don't know what you're talking about, just trow a shoe...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Canada! im following your blog eh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm... That's interesting. I don't think "Executive Mansion" was that good of a name, I'm glad they changed it. I would of gone with "Da King's Castle"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heh, so you are right. I know when to concede a point, and the burning of the White House is definitely one. :)

    My point, though slightly shaken, still stands. Apparently I am guilty of it as well - and I'll be willing to admit that I don't know as much as I should about things outside my circle, but hey, that's what university is for, right?| That is something that I actually learned in a history class in high school.

    The point I should have made is that, in fiction and movies, the power of the American president is greatly exaggerated. As well, with documentaries like "Bowling for Columbine" coming out of the States it's easy to believe that American's have a gun problem, and asking him to repeal the second amendment makes sense.

    I watched Bowling for Columbine when I was 14, (I was 13 when it came out.) It made me laugh, because there was this one stereotype that in Windsor people didn't lock their doors. That should have been the example I used. I live in Toronto though I grew up on the East Coast, and I have never not locked my door.

    Everyone I know locks their doors when their out, though not everyone when they're home but only for a specific reason - one member of their family is out without a key.

    But thank you, for the learning experience today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. good questions, enjoyed the article

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think canada thinks the us is like the ugly girl at the bar.. when you wake up with her in the morning you'll regret the shit out of it.

    ReplyDelete